15 Apr Strawberry Scones
Well friends, these took me a few times to master but they were so worth it!
Enjoy! Xo Jen
- 1 cup fresh strawberries (cut into small pieces)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar plus 1 tsp for topping
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup (half stick) frozen butter
- 3/4 cups 1% light buttermilk (cold)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Measure out ¼ cup of sugar and remove 1 tbsp. Mix strawberries with 1 tbsp of sugar and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients including the remaining sugar.
- Using the large holes of a cheese grater, grate the frozen butter into the flour.
- Mix well with flour.
- In a medium bowl, mix the buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Using a fork, slowly stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, until all the mixture is moistened. Do not overwork the dough.
- Fold in the strawberries.
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone sheet or parchment paper.
- Drop 8 equal large spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet (to avoid tough scones, do not press or compact). Sprinkle with one teaspoon of sugar. Bake on the center rack for 18 minutes.
- Remove and let them cool about 5 minutes before eating.