10 Nov Size does matter…portion sizes that is!!!
Despite what some may say……Size DOES matter!
Especially, when it comes to what we put in our mouths! Avoid common portion pitfalls like the one seen in the picture below by being aware of what is the recommended portion size because let’s face it – All apples are not created equal!
With the holiday’s approaching, there will undoubtedly be times that everyone will be faced with eating out more frequently, countless holiday parties, snack deliveries from thoughtful co-workers, and family cookie baking traditions. Remember, we have control over what goes in our mouths!
One way to manage the upcoming season and keep your weight loss goals in check is to pay close attention to portion sizes. Being mindful whether it’s a cookie or an apple will help to keep calories down, reduce overeating, and eliminate the typical holiday weight gain!
Few tips and reminders:
- Restaurant meals almost always contain 2 or more actual servings
- Plan your non-splurge meals
- Measure foods – Get to know what servings really look like
Hint: A rotisserie chicken is not an individual meal!
- 3oz of meat – size of a deck of cards
- ½ cup of cooked rice – size of your palm
- 1 tablespoon of nut butter – size of your thumb
- Medium apple – size of your fist