20 Mar Healthier Apple Crisp
My kids LOVE to go apple picking but we were overloaded with apples…
And this recipe was a perfect way to make a nice dent in the bunch!
It is so delicious!!
Enjoy! Xo Jen
Healthier Apple Crisp
For The Topping:
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I use oat flour)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup raw chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
For The Filling:
- 5-6 medium Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and very thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease an 8×8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the topping: Combine the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and pecans in a large bowl until well-combined. Add in the pieces of coconut oil and use your hands to squeeze and combine until the mixture becomes crumbly and resembles wet sand.
- Once finished, place topping in the fridge and begin making the apple filling.
- To make the filling: Place apples, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla in a large bowl and toss to combine. Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Take 1/3 cup of the topping mixture and toss with the apple mixture. Place the apple mixture in the prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Bake the crisp on a baking sheet (just in case the filling bubbles over!) for 45-55 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes on wire rack. Serve warm with your favorite vanilla ice cream. Makes 9 servings.