26 Dec Chicken And Chickpea Soup
It’s soup season y’all!
Give me ALL the soups!!
Chicken and Chickpea Soup
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas
- 4 cups water
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can of no-salt-added diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed
- 1 (14-ounce) can of artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- ¼ cup halved pitted oil-cured olives
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Drain 1 1/2 cups chickpeas and place in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Add 4 cups water, onion, tomatoes, and their juice, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, garlic, bay leaf, 4 teaspoons cumin, 4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper; stir to combine. Add 2 pounds of chicken. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. Add artichokes, 1/4 cup olives, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Shred the chicken, discarding bones. Stir the chicken into the soup.
- Serve topped with 1/4 cup parsley (or cilantro).