13 Dec Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin
What is better than cheesy and rich broccoli and cauliflower!?
I will DEF be adding this to the menu for Christmas!
Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large head of broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 c. whole milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 oz. Gruyère, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Arrange cauliflower and broccoli in the prepared dish.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes (do not let it darken). Slowly whisk in milk. Simmer, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg and 1 1/4 cups cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil; bake until vegetables are tender and the top is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.