18 Jul Black Bean Quinoa Bowls
These bowls are my favorite lightweight dish to make in the summer! It is delicious, very filling, can be made in a pinch and it is full of goodness!
Try it out and let me know what you think!
Enjoy xo Jen
Black Bean Quinoa Bowls
- 1½ cup quinoa
- 2 ¾ cups water or vegetable/chicken stock
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 large bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange) chopped
- 2 ears of corn kernels cut off (or sub 1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted)
- ⅓ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup lime juice from about 2-3 limes
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne optional
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse well. Place the rinsed quinoa in a pot with a tight-fitting lid along with the water (or vegetable/chicken stock). Cover, bring to a boil, reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn the heat off and let stand for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the quinoa cooks make the dressing by whisking the lime juice, salt, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and honey or maple syrup until well combined. Drizzle in the olive oil and whisk again until well combined.
- In a large bowl add the warm quinoa and black beans and dressing. Allow to sit 5 minutes for the quinoa and black beans to absorb the dressing. Add cabbage, tomatoes, bell pepper, and corn, stirring to combine. Top with pumpkin seeds and cilantro, then serve warm or at room temperature.