16 Nov Kid approved secret veggie muffins!
If your kids are anything like my 3 then veggies are the LAST choice they will make when it comes to meal time!
Check out these veggie muffins they HOUSED this weekend!
1 pound COMBINED zucchini & carrots
1/2 cup organic chocolate chips
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons coconut oil OR butter, melted & cooled
1/4 cup plain yogurt, at room temperature
2 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup honey
- Using a box grater or food processor, grate the zucchini and carrots. Stir 2 tablespoons honey into shredded veggies, and place mixture in a large colander set over a bowl. As you prepare the rest of the batter ingredients, the sugar will draw the moisture out of the zucchini and carrots. Occasionally press down on them to squeeze more water into the bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly coat two mini muffin pans with cooking spray.
- Place chopped nuts on a sheet pan and bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until toasted. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together chocolate chips, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, stir together coconut oil or butter, yogurt, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla. Blend in honey
- Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Press on shredded zucchini and carrots in colander one last time to extract any remaining water. Mix veggies into batter.
- Scoop batter into mini muffin tins and bake for 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. You will probably have more batter than will fit in two muffin pans. You may bake the remaining batter in an additional mini muffin pan (or reuse a pan after the first batch of muffins comes out of the oven, allowing it a few minutes to cool off). Or you can scoop the remaining batter into small ramekins to make a couple of larger muffins (which will probably take 15 minutes or so to bake).